Look, I need to tell you something that might sting a little at first, but stick with me because this is actually good news.
That financial advice you've been trying so hard to follow? The stuff about cutting out lattes, saving 20% of your income from day one, and having six months of expenses tucked away before you're 25? Most of it wasn't designed for someone like you. Or me. Or most real people, honestly.
And here's the kicker: the reason you feel like you're "bad with money" probably has nothing to do with you being irresponsible or lazy. You've just been handed a playbook that assumes you started the game with advantages you didn't have.
The Advice That Keeps You Stuck
Let me paint you a picture. You're sitting there, maybe with some credit card debt, maybe without much in savings, definitely feeling behind. Then you read another article that says "just automate your savings" or "pay yourself first." Sounds simple enough, right?
Except when you actually look at your account after rent, groceries, student loans, and that car repair you couldn't avoid... there's nothing left to automate. There's no "paying yourself first" when you're still trying to pay everyone else.
So you think: I'm doing something wrong. I'm not disciplined enough. I'm bad with money.
But that's not what's happening. What's happening is you're following advice created for someone who's already past the survival stage. Someone who has margin. Someone whose biggest financial question is "how do I optimize?" not "how do I make it to Friday?"
The Two Money Myths That Trap Everyone
Myth #1: If you're not saving, you're going to be poor.
This one's everywhere. And look, saving matters—I'm not going to lie to you. But this advice completely ignores the reality that some seasons of life are about not going backwards, not sprinting forward.
If you're keeping your head above water while dealing with high rent, low income, or unexpected expenses? That's not failure. That's financial management. You're managing what you have with what's available. That's the skill. Saving will come, but survival mode is valid.
Myth #2: You need a professional skill or side hustle to make real money.
The internet loves this one. "Learn to code." "Start a side hustle." "Monetize your passion." And sure, skills are great. But this advice makes people feel like their current work isn't valid or that they're stuck unless they add another job on top of the one they already have.
Here's what they don't tell you: most people build financial stability by getting better at managing what they already make, not by grinding themselves into the ground with extra work. Sometimes the answer isn't earning more... it's keeping more of what you earn or spending it in ways that actually move the needle for your life.
What Actually Works And Why Nobody Talks About It
The real game-changer isn't about following some rigid budget or savings rule. It's about building a money system that works for your life, not someone else's highlight reel.
Start where you are. Not where you think you should be. If you can only put away $20 a month right now, that's your starting line. Don't compare it to someone saving $500. Your $20 is teaching you the habit. That's what matters.
Prioritize in order of pain. What's actually keeping you up at night? Is it debt? Is it the fact that one emergency would wreck you? Start there. Not with someone else's priority list.
Give yourself permission to make money decisions that aren't "optimal." Sometimes buying the convenience meal instead of cooking saves your sanity. Sometimes paying a little extra for reliability is worth it. Life isn't a spreadsheet, and you're not a robot.
Your past mistakes aren't baggage, they're data. Every financial misstep you've made taught you something. You're not starting from zero. You're starting with experience that people who've never struggled don't have. Use it.
Here's What I Wish Someone Had Told Me
I spent years thinking I was terrible with money because I couldn't do what the advice said to do. I felt shame every time I had to choose between building savings and, you know, living my life.
Then I realized something: the advice wasn't broken because I was broken. The advice was broken because it wasn't built for my reality.
Once I stopped trying to follow someone else's perfect plan and started building my own imperfect one, things changed. Not overnight. Not dramatically. But slowly, steadily, I started making progress that actually stuck.
You're not behind. You're not irresponsible. You're not bad with money.
You've just been trying to run someone else's race.
It's time to run yours.
What's one piece of money advice you've been told that just never worked for your situation? Drop it in the comments—I'd love to hear what you're working through.


Comments
Post a Comment